Hosea was a prophet to the House of Israel, the northern kingdom, during the time of a great material prosperity. But it was the very time of a great spiritual/moral poverty.
REFLECTION – Responses to prosperity
• Generosity – bless others as you have been blessed
• Increase in the illusion of self sufficiency (look what I have done/achieved)
• Seeking after self-indulgence
• Turning from God – "we don’t need him anymore."
• Turing to other “gods” – other objects of worship
• In Israel’s case it was worship of Baal – WHY! Because…
RESULT in Israel – as described in Hosea
Social Injustice Hosea 2:7
• Violent Crime Hosea 4:2, 6:9, 12:1
• Religious Hypocrisy Hosea 6:6
• Political Rebellion Hosea 7:3-7
• Foreign alliances Hosea 7:11, 8:9
• Selfish arrogance Hosea13:6
• Spiritual ingratitude Hosea 7:15
Hosea – the STORY to teach the less
GOD is extremely hurt and angry
What is it that is described here?
•Worship of other gods (false gods)
•Ascribing to others what God alone provides
•No thankfulness to our God
•Betrayal of promises
Hosea – the STORY Continues – Correction and RESTORATION
• What appears to be retributive punishment – taking away the daily blessings
• Note this is being done to the beloved!!
• This is to show that others CANNOT provide her needs, and to restore proper relationship
• God’s desire is to restore, because of His love and for OUR good
Hosea –Gomer Backslides
• Despite the fact that Gomer is now in a relationship with a Godly man she goes back to her old ways
• She effectively become a slave
• Talks about another man loving her – but what person who really loves someone (1 Cor 13) is willing to sell them She is in an abusive and manipulative relationship – with the lover only seeking HIS gratification
Hosea – WE Backslide – MORE REFELCTION
Despite the fact that we are now in a relationship with God – we return to OUR old ways – to destructive practices
• We have all we need and walk away from it (prodigal sons and daughters)
• We willing become slave to sin and to the flesh
o Trust other things for our security
o Patterns of old behaviours and old excitements even when we know they CANNOT satisfy
Hosea – DEMOLISHED MYTHS
•God is a long way off and does care – isn’t emotionally invested at all (Deism)
•God will not forgive my sins
•The God of the old testament is full of wrath and punishment, but Jesus is fully of love and compassion
•True believers – true Christians do not sin
•God would not want a relationship with me because of my sins.
•God is about punishment
•Follow God and commit to him and you life will be perfect without any troubles
•If you as a Christian HAVE trouble in your life is because of sin/lack of faith
•You should only choose safe and socially acceptable options as a believer
•Christian language has always to be sanctified.
Hosea – THE TAKE AWAY
The one true God – YHVH – loves us ALWAYS and wants to restore fellowship with us. That process may be painful, but the end RESULT with far outweigh any cost.
Come join our English congregation of this International Church in Yangon!
|New Life International Fellowship of Yangon, Myanmar||
experiencing the life