"Going Back to Unlock the Future” (Gen 50:20)
Many things passed on from generation to generation. In most cases, you are not aware of it, because it’s so natural for you and for your family. It’s a big part of you, but you don’t recognize it, you don’t think about it.
There are good things which help you to live out the word of God, develop you to be mature disciples. But there are bad things which direct you to different direction from the word of God. I call it “emotional garbage.” In order to go forward, to be a more mature Jesus’ follower, we need to be set free from this garbage.
For Lifenet groups and personal reflection
1) How would you describe the family atmosphere you grew up in? Try to use just a few words.
2) Imagine yourself in Joseph’s shoes sitting in a prison cell without any hope of freedom (Gen 39:1-40:23). What thoughts, feelings or doubts might come to your mind about your family? About yourself? About God?
3) List the life messages you received from your family. Take time and ponder the concept you’ve received from your family and the way you’re expected to act/handle in your family on the following issues: Money, Conflict, Sexuality, Grief and loss, Expressing anger, Family, Relationships, Attitudes towards different cultures/religions, Success, Feeling and emotions. (You may add more)
4) What might be one specific message from your family of origin that God has revealed to you through this study? What do you want to change?
5) Read Eph 1:3-5, 5:1. What does God speak to you? What truth is revealed to you?
Some are taken from “Emotionally Healthy Spirituality Course Workbook,” by Peter Scazzero, Zondevan, 2014, p.45-51, and “Emotionally Healthy Spirituality,” 2006, p.99-100
NLIF is an international church in Yangon. Come and join our English Sunday worship service.
|New Life International Fellowship of Yangon, Myanmar||
experiencing the life